Thursday, April 23, 2009

RECIPE: TURKEY SLOPPY JOES

This recipe came from Kathie, and it looked good and healthy, so I tried it. I didn't have any tomato paste, and I didn't miss it; I just cooked the sauce as directed, and it was fine. I didn't have shallots, either, so I just sliced up some onion in there. And no bay leaves, either. And I didn't put any garlic in there, as a gesture of good-will toward my co-workers. :) Jeez, I can't believe how much stuff I didn't put in there! And it still came out great!

TURKEY SLOPPY JOES

2 T. olive oil

4 peeled whole cloves of garlic

1 c. diced shallots

1 lg. green bell pepper, diced

3 medium-sized bay leaves

1 t. dried oregano

1/2 t. red chili-pepper flakes

1 lb. ground lean turkey

28 oz. can whole tomatoes

6 oz. can tomato paste

2 c. hot water

Salt & pepper to taste

6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split

Dill pickle slices or jalapeno slices for garnish



1. Heat the olive oil over moderate heat in a deep skillet. Add garlic and stir. After 2 to 3 minutes, add shallots, bell pepper, bay leaves, oregano, and red chili flakes. Stir for a few minutes. Add the ground turkey to the skillet and brown for 5 minutes, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon. Add canned tomatoes, paste, and hot water. Stir.


2. When mixture starts to boil, lower heat and let simmer until thickened, 30 to 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 F. Stir mixture occasionally, breaking up tomatoes into a rich, ragout-like consistency.


3. Add sat and pepper, to taste. Toast buns split-side down on oven rack for 6 to 8 minutes.


4. Discard bay leaves. Spoon Sloppy Joe mixture on buns and garnish with dill pickle slices or jalapenos.


Serves 6. Per serving: 350 calories, 41g carbs, 20g protein, 13g fat, 60mg cholesterol.

1 comment:

  1. M, I'm glad this turned out so well! As you said in an earlier post, you're never sure how a recipe will turn out the first time, or if you will even like it. Especially if you can't (or don't) follow it exactly. Did you split the recipe into portions? If so, how did that work out?

    ReplyDelete