Wednesday, April 22, 2009

RECIPE: CALZONES


I got this in my email inbox this morning from care2.com, and it sounded so good that I thought I'd share it. Whoever tries it first needs to comment here to let us all know how it is! (I'm making Sarah's Sandwich Surprise today, so these will have to wait.) Of course, I don't plan on buying pizza dough, and I might use low-fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta, but other than that it looks pretty decent. In the picture, her dough looks pretty thin (like it's going to fall apart when you try to pick it up); I think I would make smaller circles of dough so that they can be thick enough to contain the filling. Obviously, this means a little less filling will fit, but at least it won't all end up in your lap instead of your mouth! :)

BROCCOLI AND CORN CALZONES

1 ½ c. chopped broccoli florets
1 ½ c. fresh corn kernels
1 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2/3 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
4 scallions, thinly sliced
¼ c. chopped fresh basil
½ t. garlic powder
¼ t. salt
¼ t. freshly ground pepper
All-purpose flour for dusting
20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, thawed if frozen
2 t. canola oil

1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 475F degrees. Lightly grease two baking pans.

2. Combine broccoli, corn, mozzarella, ricotta, scallions, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Place a generous 3/4 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border of dough. Brush the border with water and fold the top half over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Make several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush each calzone with oil. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheets.

3. Bake the calzones, switching the pans halfway through, until browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

Yield: 6 calzones

5 comments:

  1. that sounds delicious! actually trader joe's makes a really great whole wheat dough, and so cheap it's worth it to me to buy it instead of making dough from scratch. it's like $0.95 or $1.25 or something crazy cheap.

    also you know, you Could eat the thing with a knife and fork and not worry about the thin crust falling apart when you pick it up.. better for you probably to have more room for broccoli than dough?

    anyway I'm definitely going to try this recipe! one of these days I'll stop at TJ's on my way home and pick up the ingredients - maybe I'll even invite you over to try it! :) prob not this week but maybe next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well, if you're going to be PRACTICAL and use a knife and fork.. haha, it's pretty funny that that never occurred to me! :-/

    I really need to get over to Trader Joe's... I don't care for the Whole Foods in Alexandria (besides it being expensive), so it's nice to have a cheaper alternative! Thanks for the reminder!

    And, I'm always open for dinner invitations! :) I think it's my turn to host one of these days, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's also a calzone recipe on bakingandbooks.com. The filling in above recipe sounds better but her dough is pretty good (they're huge though, so if you use her recipe I would make twice as many calzones as what she suggests). If you're eating them at home then I would roll out the dough pretty thin. If you're planning on trying to eat them cold later for lunch-on-the-go, then I would suggest rolling out the dough a little thicker. It can be pretty thin and still hold together pretty well though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...are you making individual-sized sandwich surprises, or are you going to make the whole loaf as one? If you do individual sizes let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At your suggestion, I thought I would try the individual ones... that way, maybe I can sneak a whole sandwich on my breaks and not be starving when I get home. I will definitely let you know how they come out!

    Re calzone dough... when you say, "her dough," I assume you mean bakingandbooks, right? I will try that, since I do like making my own dough, although I may try Trader Joe's version one of these days as well.

    ReplyDelete