Tuesday, April 14, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 29

I did really well yesterday, I think. I ate often enough to not be hungry, and made good choices throughout the day. Yay! Once again, I went in to work a 5-hour shift, but was sent home almost immediately because of coughing and dizziness. (Fortunately the traffic heading home was heavy and slow; who'd have thought that would be a benefit??) Anyway, I ate a large breakfast, anticipating a sparse food day until I could get home for lunch. That's why there's no morning snack. I ate lunch around 2.

BREAKFAST
2 eggs over easy 
1 light multi-grain English muffin, toasted, dry
1/2 c. low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 c. chunk pineapple
3 strawberries, sliced

LUNCH
2 small whole wheat pita pockets (each whole pocket has 77 calories, as compared with the cardboard -- er, I mean "Carb Style" bread, which is 60 calories per slice, and regular 12-grain bread, which is 110 calories per slice)
filled with leftover salad from Sunday (the remains of which, sadly, had to be thrown out... disgustingly soggy from the cukes, avocado, etc)

The sandwiches didn't taste great (see soggy comment, above), but they were healthy! Even with two pockets, we're talking about no more than 300 calories for the whole meal, allowing 60 calories each for the avocado and bleu cheese -- which is way overstating... no way there was 1/4 c of either of them between the two sandwiches, but I'm just ballparking...

SNACK
1 Fuji apple with peanut butter

SUPPER
1 slice ham
2 tiny potatoes with cottage cheese and parmesan (no butter)
1 small zucchini, pan seared (deLIcious!)

Extra water to flush salty ham... must have worked, because my fingers aren't puffy today! :) (Actually, they haven't been since I started this quest... I have DRASTICALLY reduced my sodium intake, and it hasn't really hurt a bit!) 

7 comments:

  1. Nice job!! Last couple days have been really excellent. :)

    Just a note, I don't think you need to eat dry english muffins. your body needs fat to process carbs, I can't remember why but this is important. I'm not sure the fat in those 2 eggs and the cottage cheese would be enough to process the carbs in the english muffin and fruit. next time I would recommend eating a few nuts (if you have any), or putting something like Smart Balance or a little peanut butter on the english muffin.

    also please don't buy that awful low-carb bread!! probably you won't again anyway since it tastes like cardboard, but it's really not necessary anyway. nobody should have to live like that. stick with whole grain bread and you'll be fine.

    yay for lower salt intake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel!

    I just don't see why my body can't use of the fat I most obviously already possess to process the carbs. I mean, really.

    Glad to know the low-carb bread isn't mandatory... it is NASTY. But, I have to say, I would rather eat that bread than Smart Balance, or any fake butter-like substance. If I can't have butter, I'm fine skipping it altogether. Peanut butter is fine, and a good idea. Will do that next time!

    Gotta run, or my daughter will be mad at me for being late! :)

    Thanks for the comments, toots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Mom, especially on the salt intake! As I recall you are usually a salt fiend :) With regards to smart balance, have you ever tried it? I use Earth balance, which is similar. They're not like margarine or other substitutes which are full of hydrogenated oils (basically eating plastic and tastes like crap besides). Anyhoo, I use Earth Balance and butter interchangably and just wanted to say don't knock it before you've tried it :)

    ...having said that, the PB is a good idea. I usually eat one hard boiled egg with an organic whole wheat or wheat-raisin english with PB for breakfast and its very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Sarah, I have always been a fan of the sodium, so it's a huge success for me to be cutting back on that. :)

    I haven't actually tried Smart Balance, or Earth Balance, just assuming that they're like Crock's Country Spread or some such other disgusting slimy yellow plastic goo. If you and Rachel endorse the Smart Balance, then I will give it a try.

    One question: do you/can you cook with the SB/EB, or is it strictly for use as a spread? Sometimes I miss the nice browning action you get when sautéing things in butter. :-/

    I have to say, I am loving the multi-grain English muffins, and the whole wheat tortillas (which I had this morning). Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, yes, that's what I meant by 'interchangeably' :) There's Earth Balance and Smart balance, not sure what the difference is, but both work fine for sauteing and baking. There's also smart balance light, which my roommate uses, but I think that's not as good for sauteing or baking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're safe using a little olive oil to saute things, as a substitute for butter. I guess smart balance is Probably the better option but olive oil is at least better than butter, as long as you're using small quantities.

    ..I have to admit.. I'm not a HUGE fan of the flavor of smart balance. Zach likes it, and I know it's better for me so I use it instead of butter, but I can't say I don't miss the real thing. HowEver, the small sacrifice in flavor is worth the health benefits of not using real butter. But I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying the "Light" version of smart balance. it is revolting, and doesn't melt normally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, good to know about the "light" version... I will avoid it, for sure. I have to say, against all odds and certainly against my expectations, I have been able to avoid butter for a while now, and that makes me very happy. If I can enjoy what I'm eating without it, then I don't really need to introduce a substitute into my diet... except, as I mentioned to Sarah, I would use it in cooking, to brown things.

    Re cooking things in olive oil; somewhere within the last few months, I've heard that *cooking* with olive oil is not such a good idea. Eating it in things like salad dressings, or to dip Italian bread into -- anything raw, is the healthiest. Can't remember the reasoning behind that, but that's what I heard.

    ReplyDelete