Tuesday, April 21, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 36

My sincere apologies for the lateness of this posting; I thought I had entered it this morning before work... oops! I did well, yesterday, and ended the day by allowing myself a verboten treat. *gasp!* I savored it slowly, and did not punish myself today for having it! Yay for progress!

BREAKFAST
1 light multi-grain English muffin*
1 T peanut butter
1 banana
1/2 c. Grape Nuts
1/2 c. skim milk

*Can we, from here on, just assume when I write "English muffin," that it's a light multi-grain or whole wheat variety? It's a bit cumbersome to write that out every time. I have successfully banished all 'white' products from my cabinets (yeah, the three white potatoes that were left had sprouted so much and gotten so soft that I just tossed them), so every food that I mention that could be white you can safely assume... er, isn't. OK? If for some reason there is an anomaly, I will so note it.

SNACK
1 whole wheat tortilla** spread with
1 T light cream cheese and rolled around
1/3 cucumber and
1 green onion

small handful of mixed nuts

** OK, I wrote out whole wheat to distinguish from corn. :)

SNACK #2 (after I got home from work)
baby carrots
cucumber slices
fresh, homemade hummus (Thank you, Dottie!)

SUPPER
1 1/2 c. rotini*
1/2 c. nasty store-bought spaghetti sauce (leftover from WM)

DESSERT
a Snickers candy bar from the vending machine

I know, dessert was an indulgence beyond measure, but I took Marnie's advice about assessing why I wanted it, what else I had eaten over the last few days, and whether it was going to lead to further indulgences... I was convinced that I could stop at the one treat, and I did. I was not feeling bad about anything or anyone; I just wanted something sweet and chewy. So there.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Mom, especially for thinking ahead about your treats. I find that when I do that I am actually more satisfied after I have it, and less likely to overdo it or to need to indulge again any time soon. I actually can't stand candy bars, so it wouldn't have been my choice, but I'll tell you I thought of you when I chose to eat the mushroom appetizers instead of the chocolate cookies last night at Bible study. :-) And because I chose intentionally I felt much better about the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Marnie! I'm glad that UTFS has such far-reaching influence! :) I'm glad that you made the conscious decision of what to eat. I think that's the most important thing: just *thinking* about what you're putting in your mouth can make all the difference. The funny thing is, given the choice between mushroom appetizers and chocolate cookies, I would have opted for the mushroom goodies anyway! LOL.

    I would love some ideas on healthy dessert options, however (besides fruit or yogurt or nuts).. something that actually tastes like dessert but isn't going to kill me. It doesn't have to be chocolate (except for that pesky one week a month, wheneverthehell that is!), just something sweet-ish, chewy and/or crunchy. How's that for specificity?? LOL.

    I think the reason I wanted the Snickers bar is because I didn't really have any other "treat-like" options. Snacking on fruit and nuts is fine, but when I want dessert, I want... er, dessert.

    Thoughts, anyone?

    ReplyDelete