Monday, April 27, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 43

OK, in an effort to make up for the last three days of being incommunicado, I am filing today's journal early!

I sincerely apologize for lapse, and for making people worry. I did have a particularly sucky weekend, and in True Fitzgerald Form, retreated into my cave instead of reaching out for support. I have been shown the unwisdom of this form of action by my three fab daughters; I will try to learn from this experience.

So today I did better, although the heat in my apartment contributes to my laziness -- I simply don't feel like spending any time in the kitchen! The weather is supposed to cool off on Wednesday; bring on the thunderstorms if it means a cool breeze through this hothouse!! (Just took Bodhi outside, and when we walked to the western edge of my building, this glorious cool and refreshing breeze lifted my sticky hair from my neck and felt absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, that breeze is nowhere to be found in my part of the building. :(

OK, here are today's notes:

BREAKFAST
1 c. yogurt
1/4 c. granola
1 banana

SNACK
1/2 stuffed sandwich, with most of the bread pulled off and discarded - WAY too much dough around those veggies!!

LUNCH
the other 1/2 stuffed sandwich, again pulling almost all of the bread off of it... the filling was really all I was interested in.

SNACK
1 whole wheat tortilla, toasted
1/2 avocado smashed on top

I realize that was a hefty snack, but I guess it's better than a candy bar, which is what I was craving. I have to admit, if I'd had the cash (or change) on me, I might have succumbed, even after feeling like pond scum over the weekend for my indulgences.

SUPPER
1 c. corn flakes
3/4 c. non-fat milk
1 oz mixed nuts, low salt
1 banana

I may try and use my mini-food-processor in the morning to make myself a smoothie for breakfast... cool and fruity and delicious... I wonder if that will work? I may have to make it in batches... it's a pretty small container on the processor.

Anyway, that's it for today. Heading for bed with no food to digest while my body is trying to rest. Yay! I really need to dig out Deepak's Perfect Health book again... he's got such great tips for a healthy lifestyle. When I do, I'll share what seems useful.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh smoothies are a great idea! Too bad you can't do soy milk, but yogurt and frozen fruit is tasty, with maybe a little bit of skim milk to make it drinkable (as opposed to spoonable). My favorite is Crunchy PB&J (my concoction): yogurt, milk, frozen mixed berries, PB. Blend really well to chop up the fruit, then add a small handful of grape-nuts and give it a quick blend to mix it up. You'll need to experiment to get the right combo of ingredients for your tastes, and it's only crunchy if you drink it right away. If you milk it for a half an hour like I often do, the grape nuts get soggy, but it's still tasty. I don't know how big your processor is, but it should work fine.

    Great job coming back from your 'sucky weekend', and on avoiding the candy machine, even if it was only the lack of change. A candy bar every now and then isn't a problem, but I have to admit that the proximity of the snack machine worries me a bit. This is why I suggest keeping a bar of dark chocolate on hand and allowing yourself a piece every day. You may find that you don't even want a piece every day, but knowing that you can have a piece with absolutely no guilt makes it easier to avoid other indulgences that are less healthy.

    One other suggestion (Rachel actually gave me this idea) is when you do indulge in a candy bar, cut it in half or thirds, and freeze the other portions. That way you're still getting a treat that meets your craving, but you're not overdoing it, and the next time you get a craving like that, you've already got a small portion in your freezer. This also means fewer trips to the snack machine and less potential for it to become a habit.

    Anyhoo, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. I LOVE the Crunchy PB&J smoothie concoction!! I have all of those ingredients, so I'm going to try it this morning. And I'm OK with the Grape Nuts going soggy... old people like me like soft foods. Haha.

    You know, I actually thought about that idea of cutting a candy bar into pieces... I always think about it as I'm tucking the last bite into my mouth, though! You're absolutely right about the potential for that machine to become a habit. The problem is, it had already headed in that direction before I had my 'epiphany,' so it's always looming there in the back of my mind. :( I think I will take your advice the next time I'm at the grocery store and buy a plain high-cocoa-content chocolate bar to keep on hand (just not 85% again -- too bitter and tastes more like medicine than a treat!). I may even take both bits of advice and break it into pieces and freeze most of it, too, so that I can just take one piece out of the freezer at a time. If it's not sitting next to me on the desk or in the drawer, I'm less likely to absent-mindedly grab another one and another one and another one. :)

    Once again, Sarah, great suggestions that are much appreciated. I'm off to create the perfect smoothie now! :)

    ReplyDelete