Thursday, April 16, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 31

Yesterday was a HUGE success!! Not only in terms of what I ate, but mostly in terms of what I made a conscious effort NOT to eat! 

I had a kind of a bad day; by 10:30 AM, all I wanted to do was a) drive to the nearest disgusting fast food chain and order 2 of everything; b) cook up an entire box of pasta and eat it with loads of butter; and/or c) take all the change out of my little piggy bank and go downstairs and empty the vending machine of all its chocolate and chips.

I did none of those things.

Instead, around 11 AM I went into the kitchen and finished making the chicken soup I'd started the day before. It didn't take long, and I was able to have my lunch without indulging in self-destructive food fantasies. Yay!!

BREAKFAST
1 light whole-grain English muffin, toasted, with a
skim-coat of peanut butter
1/2 c. low-fat cottage cheese
1 serving mixed berries
1 t. ground flax seed

LUNCH
1 1/2 bowls of Chicken Soup for a Cold (see recipe in post below)

SUPPER
1 bowl of Chicken Soup for a Cold

I realize that I could/should have had snacks, or something else with the soup, like a piece of bread. I didn't really feel hungry once I'd eaten that soup... it is sooooooo good. And considering what I had WANTED to eat, I think the day went exceptionally well. :)

4 comments:

  1. hahah wow! yes, that day went exceptionally well! what will power! soup sounds delicious. and that breakfast sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rache! Yes, I felt incredibly virtuous! :)

    I swear that that soup has amazing curative powers. I wish I'd felt well enough to make it at the BEGINNING of the cold... also that I'd had my wits about me and shared it with you guys. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great will-power you have! You are doing such a great job!
    Is it possible to freeze that soup, or at least a "starter"? That way, you could have some on hand for when you are sick and a) don't feel up to doing much and b)can most benefit from the healing properties.
    My NutriSystem has arrived, so I will probably start it tomorrow (Sunday). I have to go through and separate it out, etc. Will let you know how I do. The fact that Pat endorses it is encouraging.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kathie!

    Good luck with the NutriSystem... I hope that works for you!

    Yes, I'm sure the chicken soup would freeze just fine, I just have to think about making it sometime when I am not sick. And making the "starter" is a good idea... I could make up the stock, then when I want some soup, all I would need to do is add the fresh garlic, ginger, scallions, etc., so they'd be nice and potent. I would have to freeze the chicken meat in a separate bag/container, and add that as directed in the recipe.

    Great idea, Kathie! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete