Friday, April 10, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 25

Well, yesterday wasn't exactly a howling success. I didn't eat enough food, and I didn't make the best choices for what I DID eat... still feel like crap; actually worse today than yesterday. (Went out last night to see Bela Fleck and 7 African musicians... it was awesome, but a VERY late night for this sick girl.)

BREAKFAST
1/2 c. baby carrots
1/2 handful of mixed nuts

LUNCH
very large bowl of chicken noodle soup (about the equivalent of the day before's portion)

SNACK/SUPPER
16 Fiber Selects crackers
2 oz neufchatel cream cheese
1 Fuji apple, cut into 16 pieces
(Rachel, when I told you last night 8 crackers, I was befuddled, apparently.)

Yes, that is the sum total of my food yesterday. When I got home from the show last night (a little after midnight), I was ravenous, but I didn't want to eat that late, so I went to bed.  This morning, I didn't have anything tempting for breakfast, so I went to the store first and got the most healthy list of food imaginable; walked past the Doritos, which were SCREAMING at me, and the frozen dinners that take no effort to heat up but are disgustingly bad for you, AND past a lovely display of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Success!

I just got home, so I'm going to go eat now (yes, I know it's late for breakfast), but here's the food I got today:

A whole chicken, Laughing Cow Light cheese, alfalfa/radish sprouts, avocados, lemons, strawberries, zucchini, asparagus, carrots, acorn squash, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, 7-grain Carb Light bread, whole wheat pita pockets, light multi-grain english muffins (after a thorough debate of merits with Sarah via txt message), whole wheat tortillas, frozen mixed berries, frozen mixed fruit, skim milk, low-fat cottage cheese, and extra-sharp cheddar cheese. OK, so the last thing wasn't PERFECTLY healthy, but a little cheese once in a while probably won't kill me.

I feel so freaking virtuous! OK, now I GOTTA go eat! 

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the grocery store success! I don't see anything particularly wrong with your food choices (other than the not eating enough). Re: eating late at night. While in general it may not be good to eat late at night, if you are genuinely hungry I think it is always better to eat something than to go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and about the baked sandwich surprise. It turns out that I did not in fact bake it long enough so the very center is uncooked and frankly, disgusting. The rest of it seems to be holding up pretty well though (at day 5 now). It is not easy to eat (filling tends to fall out) so I'm not sure it would be ideal for your lunches. It is delicious though, so my suggestion would be to cut the dough into sections and make individual serving size roll-ups rather than one giant roll-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Sarah, that's good to know about the uncooked center! I think individual sandwiches would be a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

    And, yes, after reading in that book that Joe sent me (The Eat-Clean Diet) about what not eating does to your metabolism, it's pretty bad to let your body think it's starving. I DO NOT need to hold onto any of my fat, thankyouverymuch. Since I've been sick, though, I seem to go from not hungry at all to famished in 2.2 seconds! Hard to keep up!

    Thanks again for your input and help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Mom, it could be that even getting sick is a side-effect of the detox process you're going through. so think of even your current malady as a sign of your success!

    p.s. sorry I haven't kept up the last couple of days, but I'm still recovering from my exams. whew. are you feeling better today?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Marnie. It would be great to think that this lousy cold is partly from my body getting rid of toxins... the crud is going around, though. I feel OK now, as long as I don't talk too much (oh shut up) or lie down, both of which activities induce coughing.

    So happy to hear your first tests went so well! Have you heard on the ESL yet?

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete