Monday, March 23, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 7

OK. *deep breath*

In an effort to avoid the previous day's catastrophic supper, I started by eating a better breakfast (which turned out to be brunch), then augmented with snacks throughout the afternoon, trying to keep them healthy. I did mostly OK... until I found this recipe on this "nutrition and fitness" site. Apparently, the recipe is for people who run marathons and need a spike in energy. Yeah, so that wasn't the best choice. But it wasn't the worst one I've ever made, either. It did have some health benefits. Continue on, Dear Reader.

BRUNCH
2 eggs, over easy (just a little Pam, no oil or butter)
1 whole grain English muffin (no butter this time!! Woot!)
1/2 avocado
1 orange

SNACK #1
8 Wheat Thins "Fiber Selects" crackers
1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese
1 6oz Dannon yogurt
(OK that was more like a meal, but I considered it a snack.)

SNACK #2
Oooh boy. This is where that recipe comes in. It was for popcorn with dried cranberries and mixed nuts (actually, it was supposed to be almonds, but I had mixed nuts on hand). Sounds good and harmless, right? Well, except the dried cranberries have some sugar content, but they're good for you anyway. Soooo, in order to get this stuff to stick to the popcorn, you make goop sort of like for candied popcorn. Except I used less than half of the sugar it called for, so it didn't stick too well, but it was really tasty. :( :) :( :) (That would be indecision on whether to be happy that I adapted the recipe to be less bad, or sad that I succumbed to it in the first place!)

SUPPER
Here's where a lack of groceries comes into the equation. I had the forethought to thaw some chicken drumsticks (leftover from erstwhile roommate), but I didn't have any vegetables to go with them! So I, ah, ate four of them. In my defense, they were rather small drumsticks, without much meat on them. :-/ I juiced the leftover oranges from the scones the other day, and cooked them in that and about a tablespoon of red pepper jelly. Pretty freakin' yummy.

I think part of my problem yesterday was a fairly high level of angst. I got an email from my new employer in answer to my question regarding the timing of the first paycheck, in which he stated that the first check wouldn't come until the 15th of April. I allowed myself a bit of a panic attack there. I still have no idea how I'm going to stretch my supplies until then (not to mention gas money), but today I took a pro-active role in securing more income sooner by applying to seven more jobs.

I had an interview for one this evening, which I could apparently have if I wanted less pay than Crocs is offering. I'm still tempted, because it's only 50 cents less an hour, but WAY closer to home; I have to get a second job either way, but the motel position will at least give me a set schedule that I can work a second job around. I also have an appointment to fill out an application and take a test for another job tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping something will happen soon to rescue me from Crocs, which I am supposed to start on Wednesday morning.

I realize that none of that last diatribe has anything to do with food, but as I said at the outset of this blog, I need to pay attention to all factors involving my eating patterns, and my emotional state is apparently one of those factors. So, having identified that, I need to acquire some tools to counteract the tendency to protect my vulnerable self with layers of comfort food. Anyone with any brilliant shafts of insight on that topic is welcome to respond! :)

"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."-- S.O'H.

3 comments:

  1. good job subbing avocado for butter! I was about to say you shouldn't eat plain bread, because you need a little fat to help your body process it - but the fat in the avocado is a much better fat than butter!

    also full :) :) for your adaptation of snack#2. you don't have to deprive yourself of all things sweet and delicious - I just hope that's plain popcorn, not buttered? and you kept the portion size down?

    considering you only had brunch, I think it's ok that your first snack was bigger than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel... yes, I was pretty pleased with that shaft of insight on the avocado thing. :) I swear, avocados are the absolute most perfectly yummy food on the planet.

    And yes, it was plain popcorn (well, the 97% fat free microwave stuff, anyway), and the portion size... wellll, I ultimately ate the whole bag's worth of popcorn. Snack #2 was kind of an Evening Event... munching here and there. The next time I get microwave popcorn, I'm going to get those 100-calorie sized packs, so that I have instant portion control. You should know (since it's your gene pool) that my sisters and I are fairly addicted to the Popcorn vegetable. Kathie can't eat it anymore because of health issues, but between the three of us, we've probably supported the industry for the last several decades. All that is by way of explaining why I can't seem to pop a bag of corn and only consume part of it.

    I don't know how this is going to play out with my work schedule (whatever that's going to be), but I definitely need to figure out a way to more often throughout the day, in small doses. I get into serious trouble when I haven't eaten for 5 or 6 hours and am ravenously scrounging for something to eat. Not good.

    Anyway, thanks for the comments and encouragement... as usual, they're spot-on and very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND by the way, why can't my body use the fat on my hips to process food?? It seems silly to waste that vast resource! :P

    ReplyDelete