Sunday, March 29, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 13

The day started off a bit sketchy, but thanks to the arrival of the aforementioned care package hot on the heels of a grocery store run for cottage cheese and veggies, etc. (as noted yesterday), it ended with a smile.

BREAKFAST
a bag of microwave popcorn
1 Gala apple (in the car on the way to work)

LUNCH and SUPPER 
... kind of morphed together, because I didn't get home from work/grocery store until almost 5. THIS IS WHERE I THINK I ACHIEVED A GREATNESS BEYOND MY WILDEST IMAGININGS: I walked into the grocery store and the first display that greeted me was a rack of creme horns (something I have been CRAVING for MONTHS) -- ON SALE! AAACCKK!! I am starving and not a little bit depressed about my current circumstances, and there they are, glowing on the rack like Ralphie's Red Ryder BB gun... I had a package of them in my hand before I knew what I was doing. I stood there and read the back of the package, saw "28g Fat" and dropped it like a hot rock back onto the rack. I KNOW!! I walked away and went to the produce section. *Sigh* I felt so virtuous!! ANYway, so when I did get around to lunch/dinner, this is what it was:

2 small whole wheat pita pockets with tahini, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber, and a couple thin slices of cheese. YUMMMMMM.

In my care package, there was a box of pre-cooked bacon, so I heated up a slice and ate that separately.

I had another mini-triumph later on in the evening. My wonderful care package included several Lindt dark chocolate truffles, and a box of Espresso Creme Thin Mints (serving size is listed as 6 because they're tiny). 

For DESSERT: 
I had ONE Lindt truffle (no nutrition info on them) and 2 Thin Mints (53 calories and 1.5g fat).

So, all things considered, I think this was a successful day!

3 comments:

  1. Great job Mom!!! I have to tell you, a few years ago I did succumb to those creme horns, and trust me, they are gross. I used to love them in high school, but either they started making them differently or my tastes have changed, because the filling is just sickenly sweet frosting, and not 'creme' at all. So, am I to understand that your breakfast was all that fueled you until after 5 pm???!!! I trust that now that you have some more food this will not be a regular thing right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to GO!!! It DOES help to read the label, but even then it's REALLY hard to be master over your cravings, especially when they're tied to your emotions. Good work, I am going to remember your success the next time I'm tempted, hopefully it will inspire me to greatness too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls! I have to admit I was feeling pretty full of myself there... ha ha. And Sarah, I appreciate the reminder of how disgusting that shortening-and-sugar filling is on those things. I remember now the coating left on the inside of my mouth after eating one... YUCK. When I'm craving McD's french fries, I try to imagine them as skinny sticks of butter, which usually works to fend off the craving.

    Marnie, it would thrill me to think that my little victory today helps you at some point. Be sure to share if that happens!

    And last, the lack of food consumption yesterday was as much a function of the work schedule as lack of decent food in the house. I left the house at 9 to get to work, had a 10-minute break in which all I accomplished was a quick sit-down with my water bottle, then got out of work, drove for a little over an hour, then went to the grocery store and hobbled around on my sore feet. Even today, I worked 6 hours, but only got a 10-minute break. I did manage to scarf down an apple and peanut butter, though, but I was still fairly famished when I got home.

    But yes, the lack of food should be less of a problem now. :)

    Thanks for the comments, ladies.

    ReplyDelete