Thursday, March 26, 2009

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY 10

OK, here's what Sarah has been waiting for, although I doubt that it holds many surprises. For those of you who don't already know, this day, Wednesday, March 25, was my first day at my new job working at a Crocs outlet store. It has been several years since I had to stand around on concrete for 8 hours at a time, and let me tell you, I haven't been in this much pain since... well, since I stopped working retail.

Anyway, my morning started off with a bang when I locked my keys in my car at work. If I didn't have the best children on the planet, one of whom came to my rescue (at no little inconvenience to herself, not to mention her boss), I would have been screwed, you should excuse the expression.

OK, here's how my day went, food-wise:

BREAKFAST
1 c. plain non-fat yogurt with mixed berries
1 slice Wasa

When I got to work (after the debacle with the keys, and after the security guard spent a half-hour trying unsuccessfully to break into my car, and before Rachel got there with the spare key), my boss brought bagels and cream cheese for everyone. My nerves had worked off the yogurt long since, so I succumbed and ate a bagel. Of course, it took me half the morning to consume it, because we were running around like headless chickens. Anyway, so add to my breakfast list:

1 Everything bagel with plain cream cheese

LUNCH
1 small Gala apple with peanut butter
15 Wheat Thin (Fiber ones) crackers (1 serving)
1 Laughing Cow wedge

DINNER
More of the rice, beans, and nuts... actually ate more than I should have, but I was pretty freaking hungry when I got home.

SNACK
1 apple and peanut butter

4 comments:

  1. that's great Mom! and you forgot to mention you were hungry AND in pain! on the bagel, yes, it's not a good choice to eat everyday, but having a bagel with cream cheese occasionally (I usually try to eat half of one with something else like fruit or egg to round out the meal, and just stick the other half in a baggie for the next day), is definitely not terrible. Bagels are pretty high in carbs and calories and eaten alone, won't keep you satisfied for long, but it's not like you ate a burger and fries, and your breakfast was MEAGER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marnie. With the support and encouragement of my fabulous daughters, this has been my first attempt at a healthy lifestyle that hasn't derailed with the first "mistake." Usually, once I get around to actually making the initial commitment, I am 100% focused and driven (like 12 years ago in Caribou -- wow, has it really been that long??), and at the first sign of weakness or a bad decision, I throw up my hands and say, oh well, I tried. But this time, you guys are really instrumental in keeping me on track!

    I think part of it is also that I am not following a 'plan,' where I follow directions like, "for breakfast, eat 1/2 c. this," etc. It's more a general pattern of making better food choices.

    Once again, thank you to my most excellent children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marnie. Your breakfast and 'lunch' (which shall henceforth be called snack 2) were very small, so I think it's actually a good thing you had the bagel. Also, think about how much physical work you put in that day, which I'm sure is much higher than an average day for you. Even though you ate more than you 'should' for dinner I'd still count this day as a complete success! I put 'should' in quotations because I don't know how much you ate and it seems to me that your breakfast, snack 1, and snack 2 were small enough that combined with the extra physical activity, your body probably needed the extra nourishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate two bowls of the beans/rice/nuts mixture, instead of just one. By the time I was within a couple of bites of the second bowl, I knew I had consumed more than necessary, but I finished it anyway. I hate it when I do that!

    My brother Joe is sending me a birthday present; an electronic device to wear on my arm that monitors the calories I burn throughout the day... apparently you plug in (on the computer) the food you eat, and it calculates the calories in, as well. He swears by it, says he found out about it through his s.s. fitness center. I kinda wish I'd had it on for the last two days... your assessment of my average level of physical exertion was accurate. I was *beat up* after yesterday. Oy. Well, what doesn't destroy me makes me stronger, right?

    Thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete