Sunday, April 22, 2012

Radishes...

Not something I would normally associate with Brussels sprouts... you? Well, I just oven-roasted a bunch of radishes because someone told me that they were tasty that way, and that they don't much taste like radishes. I don't *mind* the taste of raw radishes, I just don't ever think to eat them, because in my youth, they were just a garnish; no one ever actually Ate them, except my father, who was weird that way.

Anyway, so I roasted these radishes (sorry, no pics... I gobbled them up too fast!), just like I do Brussels sprouts, in about a 400-degree oven (in this case, the toaster oven, since I just had a single bunch), drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkling of salt. Well, they're just delicious, that's all. They taste a Lot like roasted Brussels sprouts, and I'm not sure why. I never would have thought they were from the same vegetable family; they grow completely differently, and they are physically nothing alike. A vegetable conundrum, if you will. They do have a little bit of a peppery finish, unlike the leetle cabbages. I say give 'em a shot!

On the subject of little noshes (oh, did I forget to mention that the radishes were a snack? Whoops.), does anyone out there have any zippy ideas for easy, healthy snacks to have around? That require little or no prep? Low in carbs/fat/sodium (you know, all the things I love)? One of my favorite things is sliced cucumbers with little tiny slices of cheese on top, but I'm sure the cheese is a bad idea. Still better than Pringles and spray cheese, but I would like to set the bar a bit higher than that.

Comments, suggestions, welcome as always.

4 comments:

  1. glad you liked the roasted radishes!

    I've been adding herbs to plain non- or low-fat yogurt (preferably greek but regular is ok too, as long as it's plain), as a dip for cucumbers. delicious!

    also, typical dieter food but I like it: celery with (unsalted) natural peanut butter. natural pb is usually more expensive but it's a pretty good price at trader joe's (under $3).

    other ideas:
    -stick of "light" string cheese
    -hummus and (anything)
    -lowfat cottage cheese with grapes & (unsalted!) peanuts
    -whatever kind of fruit with a little peanut butter or a small handful of peanuts (or other nut)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was YOU who told me about the radishes?! I couldn't for the life of me remember who mentioned it. Oy.

      Thanks for the snack suggestions! Bonus: I have ingredients for almost all of them! No string cheese, but I have everything else! Woohoo! You would think that I could just look in my fridge and put ideas together, but some days I just can't think that hard. :-/

      Thanks, Rach. <3

      Delete
  2. Roasted radishes sound awesome - just harvested a small crop from my garden and was wondering what to do with them other then keep gnawing on the raw ones - which have quite the kick!

    snack ideas: I love me just plain old raw almonds (I buy in bulk from natural food store, pretty cheap) - they are crunchy and contain protein that makes me feel satisfied almost instantly. I think 10-15 almonds is just right. I also love Vic's brand popcorn - it comes already popped in a bag, but it comes in Light and Half-salt and it's popped with just a little oil - no artificial crap and it's really lovely. That's all I got for now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almonds! I love almonds! When I was working on the mural, Anika's helper was peeling blanched almonds, and they tasted so different from plain raw ones. Hmmm, maybe we're onto something here.

      I also like the idea of the popcorn. Thank you for the suggestions! :)

      Delete