Sunday, April 15, 2012

My newest challenge


So. I recently had some blood tests, mostly I went for my thyroid test (which was *ahem* long overdue), but the doc also wanted a blood glucose test and a vitamin D test. I officially flunked all of them. The thyroid one was no surprise, although the magnitude of the imbalance was a bit of a jolt, even to my doctor. The normal range of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is .5 to 4.5/5.0; mine came back at 109. Your eyes did not deceive you, there was no decimal in that number. Yeah, so that happened.

My blood sugar, the doc reported, was at "diabetic levels." She said, "this may in part be due to the thyroid imbalance, and may be improved with lifestyle changes." Hmm, by 'lifestyle changes,' I'm betting she was referring to binges of Pringles and spray cheese, or eating Chef Boyardee ravioli several times a week. Yes, guilty as hell on both counts.

ANYway, since I am now officially and forever to be labeled as a diabetic, I have to make some dietary changes whether I like it or not. Mostly because (as one of my friends accurately posted on Facebook) healthy eating - while depressingly expensive - is cheaper than medical care for unhealthy eating.

I now am the proud owner of a large head of kale, some quinoa, whole grain bread, and a bunch of other assorted veggies and fruit. I am going to make some sort of a quinoa/kale salad that's going to be so damned healthy I will feel like I'm 20 again. Yikes. What a scary thought!

As always, comments, suggestions, recipes, etc. are welcome! Thanks for playing.

5 comments:

  1. Playing and praying. This is a big step. I've been the big "D" since 96. I feel your pain. Actually, after I started putting good food in front of me I realized I was eating better than I do when I pay for a fancy meal at an expensive restaurant and I felt alot better.:O) Love and support to you. Lynnsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn! I know I will feel better eating healthy food. It's funny how the diagnosis just makes you instantly make changes in your eating habits. Mom was diabetic, so it's not as if I don't know what to do, it's just weird that it's me. Thank you for the support, cuz. <3

      Delete
  2. Here are a couple of useful websites:

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_budget_friendly_recipes

    http://simplemom.net/11-tips-for-eating-healthy-on-a-budget/

    I think you will find that as you get better about planning your meals and become a more savvy shopper eating healthy will not be 'depressingly expensive'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sites, Sarah! I know, you're right about meal planning, etc., and the tips you gave me when you were here will come in handy. Also, as was pointed out to me on the FB post, Asian/ethnic markets are generally wayy cheaper than regular grocery stores, so I need to remember that next time. For instance, Safeway didn't have any tahini (I know! What??) so I went to Ginger & Spice (the market next to/part of IndAroma) and bought it there. I keep forgetting she has some produce, so I cruised over there and found that red onions were $5.29 for a TEN POUND bag, and I had paid over $4 for ONE ONION at Safeway. That is ridiculous. So, yes, I need to become a Much more savvy shopper.

      Thanks again for your help, Sarah! <3

      Delete
  3. yay Mom! sorry for the delayed comment but I have been reading as posts are coming in. I agree with Sarah, once you get into the habit and get better at finding the good deals and making recipes with less expensive ingredients (for example, when red onions are over $4 a piece, you use a different kind of onion), living healthfully is not prohibitively expensive.

    trader joe's has the cheapest whole chickens I've found ($6 for 5-lb bird), but haven't checked the ethnic markets.

    good luck! looking forward to following along. :)

    ReplyDelete